Musical PotholingDate: Friday 4 dec 2020 - Tuesday 27 Apr 2021
Discover the bowels of Piton de la Fournaise ...
You can now explore the lava tunnels in complete safety. This specific and unique underground world is still very fragile, but you can explore it with passionate professionals at your side, specialists who will introduce you to unexpected natural environments. Once a month, in this unique and secret setting, Julien Dez offers evening trips to explore the site and take part in an original music event: playing with local artists for an unusual experience - musical potholing.
• Meet at 3pm or 4pm (depending on the season) in the Vierge au Parasol car park at Coulée 2002, in Le Grand Brûlé.
• Julien Dez will welcome you and direct you to the 2004 lava flow.
The 2004 lava flow network is the most significant discovered on the island to date.
• After a quick briefing about the trip and the safety rules to be followed, you will put on your equipment and make your way to the entrance of the tunnel (10 to 15 minute walk on the lava).
Then you launch yourself into the bowels of the volcano!
• Often standing, sometimes bent over or crouching, you move through this wonderful world, to the centre of the earth.
• You can admire the formations created by the cooling lava flow as it slowed down after an eruption (stalactites, stalagmites, large chambers, plugs, solidified lava cascades, seats and light wells etc.)
• Highlight of the trip: in one of the more spacious caves, a trio of artists committed to the idea of "cultural melting pots" and "the spirit of nature" offer an original and unique musical experience in this exceptional place. (Show lasts approximately 45 minutes).
• After this "otherworldly" show, return to the surface (approximately 20 minutes through the tunnel to reach the exit).
• The trip ends with a drink on the surface, under the light of the full moon.
• End of trip: around 8pm
Important : The temperature underground is relatively constant (between 22 and 26°C) and humidity levels can reach 92%.
What to bring : long trousers (which you don't mind getting ruined), long-sleeved T-shirt, old trainers or hiking boots, 1 litre of water/person at least, rain clothes, spare clothes (which will be left in the vehicle).
Prices included: supervision by one or more BEES/DEJEPS qualified potholing guides, technical equipment (helmet with light, gloves, knee pads, 1 "potholing" kit).