Horseback riding and Creole lunch to the Plaine des PalmistesDate: Tuesday 3 aug 2021 - Thursday 30 Dec 2021
An original exploration of the Pandanaie, in La Plaine des Palmistes
This one-of-a-kind natural plant formation is the favoured habitat of the Pandanus Montanus, a native plant species of Reunion Island, also known as the “Pimpin des Hauts”. This is an exceptional natural heritage site. The plant life here is remarkably rich and diverse. Over 70 orchid species and over 90 fern species have been recorded, and about a third of the species observed are native to Reunion Island.
• 8am: Meet at La Porte des Cascades horse-riding centre, in La Plaine des Palmistes. You’ll be welcomed by François Garçonnet, the owner of the centre, who is passionate about horses.
• After a safety briefing and a summary about what to expect for the morning, visitors get to know their companion for the morning: here they only have Irish Cobs, a breed of horses that is well-known for their easy-going and gentle character.
• Initial contact and getting to know the horse. Then visitors help prepare the horse, get used to it and finally set off for a 3hr ride to one of the most secret and preserved places in the area: The Pandanaie
• This horse-riding outing is a great way to discover the preserved native plant-life of this part of the island. A whole different way of discovering the benefits of nature.
• Late morning, the groups heads back to the centre.
• We remove the harness and saddle, then groom our new friend, before taking them back into their box for a well-deserved rest.
• After this equestrian escapade, what could be better than an authentic Creole lunch!
• Lunch is served for the riders at the centre itself. A charming and energetic young woman named Sylvie, takes care of everything! She is the owner of the “Au Coeur de la Cascade Biberon” inn, in La Plaine des Palmistes, and she prepares an authentic meal for the visitors, from the aperitif to the dessert. Everything is absolutely delicious!!
• At around 3pm: After this enjoyable morning and delicious lunch, visitors can go to visit the Maison du Parc National or the Domaine des Tourelles, before heading back to their accommodation.
You are advised to make a booking 48hrs in advance.
This outing is scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays
Other dates can be added upon request with the provider.
The provider reserves the right to cancel the outing the day before, if weather conditions are not optimal.
Min. 2 people / max. 6 people